Friday, January 09, 2009

aches and pains

Because we had another zombie-paralyzing blizzard today, I was forced to shovel again. In the process of doing so I aggravated an injury that I incurred in the past year. Now my shoulder is incredibly sore and I can't lift my arm above my head.

I'm not writing this post to bitch and complain (actually, I am, a little) but rather to stress the importance of taking care of yourself. Because society hasn't crumbled I have time to apply warm and cool compresses and heal my arm properly. Even though I want to be a tough-guy and "push through the pain" I know doing so will only make things worse in the long run. Don't get me wrong, though. If zombies descend, the pain will be the last thing on my mind.

Still, as I grind through my daily existence, I have had an accumulation of injuries, some of which will affect me the rest of my life. As a result certain abilities have been compromised. With my shoulder injury I can no longer carry anything over 40 pounds with my right arm. Also my punching technique has been substantially weakened. Even though these losses are significant, it is important that I recognize them, and work around them.

However, on days like today, with a hot water bag on my shoulder, I hope that my zombie fighting skills haven't been prematurely compromised.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember that shovel can always come in handy to decapitate that pesky zombie that sneaks up on you while shoveling the sidewalk.

Kevin K.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home