Friday, June 26, 2009

Responses to Zombie Practice

Regarding the comments on my previous post...

Hyrion, I would have to agree that working at a butcher's or in a slaughter house would desensitize you to violence, blood, guts, and perhaps even familiarize you with anatomy. However, I can't help but feel that there one may lose something even more precious by the regular slaughter of (non-zombie) animals. Most non-sociopaths will feel some recoil by the taking of lives. I believe that one can respectfully take an animal's life in order to receive sustenance. However, I also believe this is much different than fighting for your life against zombies. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive, but I would worry that I might lose some of my humanity by the callous taking of lives as is required by employment in a slaughterhouse. Perhaps more practically speaking, I would also worry about sustaining a serious injury, as slaughterhouses are one of the most dangerous fields of employment.

This is not to say that there is no value in understanding the connection between your food and the animal it comes from. So often, in the grocery store, we purchase meat without a thought as to the fact that it came from a living creature. When the necropalypse occurs, I believe that we are going to have to all become intimately aware of this connection in order to survive.

I'm going to end this tangent by saying that I recently acquired my Wisconsin fishing license, and am going to start procuring my own food in a legal manner.

Returning to the concept of working in a horrific and startling workplace (like a haunted house, or Graveyard Records), I think the idea I was trying to get at was trying to find a way to overcome being startled and reacting out of fear, instead of being startled and having a rational defensive response. Obviously, the worst thing you could do in the event of the necropalypse is panic. Finding ways to overcome that "panic response" in favor of a rational response is crucial in these non-apocalyptic times.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hyrion said...

How about firefighting?

They go in into situations a normal person would normally call "panic-inducing" if you have the guts to go into a burning building, you have the skills to surpress your instinctual fears of death.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home